What you need to know:
Mold spores are ubiquitous. They are located indoors and outdoors just about everywhere on earth. Mold can easily travel indoors through open doors and windows as well as on clothing and shoes.
To help prevent mold growth:
- Do not open windows while heating or cooling units are operating. This will cause condensation and may contribute to mold growth.
- Do not leave wet or damp clothes, towels or shoes in closets. Set them out on a drying rack until completely dry.
- Do not place potted plants or any other source of moisture on or around heating and cooling units.
- If you see mold, immediately call Residence Life and Housing or Facilities and Campus Services to have the area treated.
Health Effects of Mold:
Since mold spores are present in all of our surroundings, it is impossible to eliminate them from the indoor environment. The goal is to prevent conditions for growth. Some species of mold will naturally grow on human skin, unbeknownst to the host. Most people have little to no reaction to mold, although some people who suffer from allergies may have increased sensitivity, as is noted in the following article from the American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.